Wednesday, January 10, 2007

tell you what: when we do get the band back together, we're changing the name to something that starts with a tilde

Am I the only person who ends up listening to a disproportionate number of 10,000 Maniacs songs because they are on the top of my iTunes list and occasionally for whatever reason it starts playing from there? Sure, I'll always love "What's the Matter Here?," but they're probably my best example of a band that seemed all "socially conscious" back when I was in my 20s and seem now more "'socially consciousness'" whenever I listen to the same songs more than a decade later. (As in, authentic vs. authenschtick.)

Just now, I was just listening to their song "Headstrong" and was reminded of its lyric, "If we were living in a house afire / I don't believe that you could rush out and escape / and not rescue me." I remember hearing it way back when and thinking, for neither the first nor last time, "Wow, some feminists have really low standards for what they expect from men." Really, he loves me! I can't tell you how wonderful it is to sleep next to a guy and think, "This one, he wouldn't just let me burn to death!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't remember where I heard it now (which usually means it's somewhere painfully obvious), but I've heard a similar argument about the worthiness of a boyfriend and their likelihood of taking a bullet for you.

It only took me a split second to decide it was a lame gauge of a guy's devotion, but I think that was just because I'm 99% certain that if there was ever a bullet in the picture, my partner would jump behind me and leave me to save his life.

Can you change the order of your iTunes so that's it's reverse alphabetic (assuming that's why it often starts with 10,000 Maniacs)? Of course then you'll hear a lot of ZZ Top (or Yes, Weezer, Van Halen, U2...) or whatever's at the bottom of your list, but it might shake things up a bit.

Anonymous said...

I always hated the lead singer of 10,000 Maniacs. I can't remember her name right now--Natalie something? I dunno.

Anyway, she always seemed like she'd be all leftie holier-than-thou and yet somehow really prissy at the same time. Whenever I looked at her, I had this feeling that if we were kids in elementary school together, she'd make me want to knock her down and get her dress muddy. And I've really never felt that way about anyone else.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, for some reason, Natalie Merchant's voice makes me want to kill.

Anonymous said...

1. It's amazing what you can learn from these blogs. For instance, I now know that Jeremy does not like .38 Special.

2. I had a similar problem with my old MP3 player -- its "random" logic went something like this. Alphabetize the songs by title, pick a number, play the song. If the number is higher than the number of songs on the player, play the last song. All I can say is it's I good thing I like Rush's YYZ.

Anonymous said...

You are becoming quite masterful at the creation and deployment of yiddish hybrid neologisms.

Anonymous said...

Substitute 10 Years After for 10,000 Maniacs, but yeah, I know what you mean.

Anonymous said...

This is really funny, especially the use of a tilde. Is that the first in the alphabetical order of symbols?

I think that the same thing goes on with bloglists. When I find a good site, I cruise through their blogroll for awhile. I usually make it past about "E" but usually not to "M".

So, I wonder if blog's with names early in the alphabet get more referrals than others? I think that I benefit from this.

Anonymous said...

If there were a t-shirt with that title ("tell you what: ...") I would buy it.