Wednesday, April 19, 2006

spoiled, i know

How swell one might imagine that it is to have a high-autonomy and well-paid postdoc at Harvard, it is even more swell to have this and still have demography library privileges at the University of Wisconsin. I needed a single page from the American Economic Review that was not part of the online-accessible collection. It was also unclear whether that particular print issue of the journal was going to be at either the undergraduate or graduate libraries (so it would be hit-or-miss to walk over hunting for it). I e-mailed the UW demography library, and had a pdf of the page within an hour.

(For those who've followed my reproducibility-standards-saga, the page in question was the editorial statement (by Ben Bernanke, successor to Alan Greenspan at the Federal Researve) indicating that the McCullough and Vinod problems that I quoted yesterday was indeed the reason for AER stepping up its policy [the principle of the policy existed, the change was active enforcement by requiring actual submission of materials to the Editors to be posted].)

Note also: Chris has his own ideas about possible expansion of the reproducibility principles to other domains.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sort'a look like Scott McClellan .........

jeremy said...

I do not sort of look like Scott McClellan. Take it back.

Anonymous said...

This is like a social movement for nerds. A nerd revolution.

It seems so basic and common-sensical: Share the darn code and nobody gets hurt!

I guess secretly I want to see big name a#*hole(s) be publicly shamed in a major sociology journal when no one can reproduce his/her/their results.

I think I will deposit data and code from all my stuff at that ICPSR archive you mentioned.

Anonymous said...

... reeling in McClellan