Wednesday, March 08, 2006

(ssf) real

The assignment for my most recent short short fiction class took the instructor like ten minutes to explain. I do like having assignments. I like assignments about either the form (i.e., a story that's a list) or the content (i.e., a story that's a prohibition). But assigning both form and content starts to get a bit overconstraining. The "form" part of this assignment was that it was supposed to done mainly as "narrative exposition," although it could be first person narrative. The "content" part was that the story was supposed to begin with two people approaching a store and then they are supposed to go inside the store for some purpose that is either achieved or not. Anyway, my story is called "Real" and is available as pdf here. Let me know if you have any comments or non-cruel suggestions.

I think the class is suffering short short fiction fatigue. Only four (of seven) showed up, and only two of us had stories, although another student promised to e-mail us hers. The assignment for next week is the last, and it took the instructor a full half-hour to explain, although in the end seemed both interesting and simple enough. Which does not necessarily mean I'll have time to do it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

pirates are good, but peeps are gross.

Anonymous said...

Re identical twins. Wish you'd gone with that. The possibilities! It actually happened to me in Harvard Sq. once — and the twin didn't help out. Just said, 'No, I'm not Connie', turning away and leaving me with such puzzlement.

Years later, I was taken by some cohorts to friends of theirs for a drink. The hostess was the not-Connie twin! (who of course couldn't have recognized me). She and her husband were very wealthy, and she graciously took me around the manor, showing off their art collection. So only years later did I realize that Connie was not a nut.

jeremy said...

Yeah, I had thought about just going with the identical twins, as well as with something other than pirates.

Anonymous said...

You have to choose. But that doesn't mean your other ideas are lost. They're churning away, melding,.... kerplop. Excelsior, old boy!

Anonymous said...

great story- where's the picture?

carly said...

I, for one, agree with Rich (surprise, surprise)

jeremy said...

Carly, Rich, Anon: Thanks. I'll be posting the photo, um, soon.

Anonymous said...

my favorite too. :)
-martine